Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Providence Interview


1. Can you tell us a little bit about the project for those that have never heard of you before?
1. The Providence is my personal tribute to horror movies. In this project I try to give every movie I was been fascinated or scaried by my peculiar soundtrack. Until now I’ve released a demo-cd, "The Fear Remains The Same" and an ep, “The Seven Doors Of The Providence". The case wanted that both works were released near Christmas time and maybe the new album is going to be too. Pure coincidence!

2. What is the meaning behind the projects name?
2. Band’s name comes from "Danza Macabra", a movie by Antonio Margheriti where in Providence there’s the bewitched castle, setting of the movie itself. I immediately thought it was perfect, it sounded good.

3. How would you describe your musical sound?
3. It’s pure Horror Music, influenced by many bands like Death SS, Goblin, Katatonia, Paradise Lost, Zess, Coven…

4. How would you describe the lyrical content of the music?
4. Actually, until now, this project went on like an instrumental soundtrack, even if the sung parts are increasing in number. Surely next work is going to contain more vocal parts. Anyway now we can listen to many vocal tributes through the direct insertion of the voices by movies’ several characters.

5. What do you hope to achieve with the music?
5. Living by horror music here in Italy is impossible. Unfortunately I can’t find labels interesting in this project, so my only purpose is enjoying myself, friends of mine and interested people, like you this time. And if by chance you have to know some interested indie label, make me know please, ‘cause here in my country they neither answer to my emails. And I’m really sorry about it ‘cause there’s no lack of appreciations for The Providence… on the contrary there’re plenty of them. But it’s ok this way too.

6. I know that alot of the songs are based on horror films, which horror films do you feel have had the most impact on the music?
6. Talking about horror movies in general I can say my favourite one all along is “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre” by Tobe Hoper. Then there are all 70’s and 80’s ones like "Le Frisson Des Vampires" or the saga by Amando De Ossorio.

7. How have music fans worldwide react to the music so far?
7. I’ve found with pleasure that my music’s had many supporters and among them there’re some people who became friends of mine and who’s going to collaborate for the full length album. Reviews are always good and positive and all this makes me happy ‘cause it’s great that people give my efforts their approval.

8. Do you have any other projects besides this one, if so who are they and what kind of music do they play?
8. Yeah, I’ve got a band and we play gloomy rock in the last Anathema style. Its name is “Juliet In Bones”: Juliet comes from Julia Carta, a woman who was burnt alive ‘cause she was believed an evil witch by the fucking Inquisition; you can listen to some track through this link http://www.youtube.com/user/JulietInBones. Then I’ve got an ambient new age project, “L’Incantesimo Di Gilbert”, whose title is from the terrific short film by Paolo Gaudio, a friend director from Rome (http://www.youtube.com/user/IncantesimoDiGilbert). I hope to give a new project the birth too but now it’s too soon to speak about it.

9. How would you describe your musical progress over the years and what direction do you see the music heading into on future releases?
9. I’ve never been a great musician on the technical side but about the emotion I’ve found my increasing progresses in striking and involving people: I don’t need to perform hard notes or virtuosities to catch listeners’ attention, I just need my soul and my feeling. When I compose I let myself free to be carried by all this and everything happens automatically in a kind of trance where my fingers and my voice don’t follow my head but my heart. I hope my future works are going to be ever more emotional.

10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced the music and what are you listening to nowadays?
10. As I said The Providence is mainly influenced by Death SS and Goblin but then come all the early 90’s bands, when masterpieces like Wildhoney by Tiamat, The angel and the dark river by My Dying Bride or Tales from the thousand lakes by Amorphis were released. At the moment I listen to many types of music excluding metalcore, nu metal, reggae, nearly the whole Italian pop music and most part of the disgusting disco-music. Exactly in this moment I’m listening to “My shadow” by Decameron but the cds I listen to more are surely those ones by my favourite artist by far, Elisa Toffoli, a great talented girl.

11. Does Occultism play any role in the music?
11. I can answer yes about the Occultism belonging to the cinematic world but not like a personal studying, even if I’d like ‘cause I consider it a very interesting thing, but actually it isn’t possible ‘cause I know I wouldn’t be quite involved or concentrated.

12. What are some of your interests outside of music?
12. Well by now I’m a carer, helping people with handicap is my job even if I’m effectively out of work, unfortunately. Tatoos are another great passion of mine, as well as going out with friends, having fun and making a racket, if it’s possible, all night long, like all the other Sardinian boys do.

13.Any final words or thoughts before we close this interview?
13. I thank you so much for the interview, I really appreciated that. I greet your readers and invite them to pass on my site www.myspace.com/horrorprovidence. Stay horror!

No comments:

Post a Comment