Sunday, January 27, 2013

Merdarahta Interview


1.Can you tell us a little bit about the project for those that have never heard of you before?
When Fuck The Facts was doing Die Miserable we had a recording that I really wanted to use as the B side of the cassette version. This was the “Snake Charmer/Towers” release. It just didn’t feel like Fuck The Facts, it felt like something new. So we made the decision to put it under a different name even though all members of FTF played on it.
2.How would you describe your musical sound?
The approach is very different from Fuck The Facts. I see Merdarahta as our vacation away from FTF. We started Fuck The Facts as a place where we could have complete artistic freedom, and I don’t think anything will ever replace FTF for me. So to do something else there had to be a very different method and frame of mind to how we would create.
In Merdarahta the music we make is based mainly on improvisation sessions that we record. Nothing is perfect, but it really captures the moments when everything starts to come together. There’s no going back and trying it again, what you hear is the idea being played as it was coming out. We end up with something that I don’t think we ever would have, if we had sat down to try and “write” it.  It’s an unbroken flow of ideas and sense of simply being submerged in the moment.
3. What are some of the concepts the band brings out in the music?
Simplicity is what I aim for. Lots of room and space to let everything slowly morph from section to section. Since there are no lyrics and any vocals are used more as an extra layer, we’re really just trying to create ambience more than send a message.
4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
The name “Merdarahta” itself is taken from an ambient noise Fuck The Facts track from 2003. Even if it’s a different project, I wanted it to be connected to FTF.
5. Has the band had any oppurtunities to do any live shows, if so what are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
We did one show so far. It was opening for Jucifer in Aug of last year. Since all the recordings are based solely on improve sessions I didn’t think it would be fair to try and recreate those performances, so instead we came up with some new ideas and a basic structure to play with. I was really happy with how it turned out and I look forward to taking Merdarahta to the stage again.
6. Has there been any label interest for the project?
That not something we’ve tried to look for and since the project is very new and really something we just do on the side, it’s not something that’s really needed. I’m happy to release Merdarahta recordings independently.
7. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of drone?
The feedback we have gotten has been very positive. But again, because the activity level of the project is so low, there are not a lot of people that have heard these recordings.
8. What is going on with the other band projects these days?
Fuck The Facts is always busy. We have a lot of new recordings in the works, which also includes our new full-length album. Also, The Sun Through A Telescope (who is one of the main contributors to Merdarahta) is also just about to release a new full length album.
9.What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
I already have a lot of recording sessions to go through and work on. Most of it is pretty similar to the 2 releases we’ve already done, but some others have a bit more of “jam” vibe with more drums and even riffs. We’ll see how it all comes together.
10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
I’ve always loved noise and ambient music and that’s what I’m trying to get out with this project. Create noise that’s still somewhat musical. Bands like Painkiller, Massonna and Trail Of The Bow are a few bands I can think of as influences. As for what I’m listening to recently, it’s been a lot of Black Sabbath, Priestess and Marvin Gaye. 
11.Does Occultism play any role in the music?
No. It’s all about atmosphere and creating a mood. I’m not really into any sort or Occultism or religion.
12.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
Not many, but I could probably use another hobby. Even when I’m not working on my own music, I’m recording and mixing bands at my studio Apartment 2. Music and hanging out with my 2 year old daughter are the only things I really like to do.
13.any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
Thanks for the interview and your interest. Cheers!

https://www.facebook.com/merd.rahta/

No comments:

Post a Comment