Friday, October 23, 2015

Belaqua Shua Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about yourself and your musical project?
1. I play music since I was thirteen. I've been playing with different people in the last twenty years but I'm mostly a lonesome musician, I'm still trying to reach my way and "Where is everybody else?" by Belaqua Shua is my late debut, my first born child.



2.Recently you have released an album, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?
2. Every sound comes from acoustic instruments, mostly by my cheap cello, but also zither, harmonium balalaika, clarinet, classic guitar and a little bit of piano. Voices play a big role in defining the atmosphere of the tracks, even though they appear later than music they become suddenly part of it. If I should define Belaqua's music with an image I would say: it's like standing alone in front of a lake in a desert area, wondering if it would be better  jump into the water or stay and contemplate the surroundings.



3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with your music?
3. Neither topics nor subjects, maybe feelings: longing, boredom, abandon, homesickness, unfulfillment, beauty, desire. I employ texts from different sources, but they become part of the music, at least this is what I mean to do with them.



4.Can you tell us a little bit more about the other musicians that where on your album and what their contributions where?
4. I play all the music.

5.Have you done any live shows or has this been a studio project so far?
5. Never played this music live. I hope one day.

6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the deal you have signed  with Triple Moon Records?
6. I found Triple Moon Records on Soundcloud where I have appreciated the releases. Thanks to Nicola Fornasari of Xu(e), a beautiful project by two italian musicians, I got in contact with Philippe Blache, who immediately appreciated my music. Et voilà, the record was out! All has happened very fast. Triple Moon is one of the first label I met when I put my music on Soundcloud this spring, and It's still one of my favourite.



7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of folk, ambient and experimental?
7. A worldwide failure! Belaqua Shua is a brand new project and I am no "social" (no facebook or twitter, just a little bit of soundcloud), so I have had few opportunities so far to reach the world outside. Fans of folk, ambient and experimental music, please, get yourselves together and come to me!



8.Are you also involved with any other musical projects?
8. I am a member of the italian band Morose. I've been playing with this band for quite longtime, we made some records and we toured Italy and part of Europe. As the best red wine, we get better as we get older, even if nobody seems to care now, alas! I collaborated with other project such as the electroacoustic Campofame and the songwriter My dear killer, both from Italy, and I'm currently working with a talented young musician from Brighton, her name is Beth Chesser.



9.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?
9. Being optimistic, I see myself playing music in the same way, in my room, maybe with some other instruments, with the desperate desire of recording some better stuff every time.



10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and  also what you listening to nowadays?
10. I think that William Basinski, Jon Hassell, Luciano Cilio, Giacinto Scelsi, Popul Vuh, late Talk Talk are the kind of (impossible) target when I try to do my best with music. I have been listening to a lot of different stuff in the past twenty years: metal, grunge, post rock, contemporary, classical...
I'm found of the sound of the Sixties, expecially the Texas psychedelia and other obscure pearls.
I love the sound of piano, especially the works of Satie, Chopin, Fauré and Listz.
I love waltz. The answer of the question number nine could definitely be: I would like to compose a great waltz.



11.What are some of your non musical interests?
11. I used to love poetry.
 I like cinema, my favourite directors are Louis Bunuel, Andrej Tarkovskij, Alain Resnais, Werner Herzog. But I also like italian movies and directors from the fifties to the seventies. I suggest to the readers the beautiful work of Vittorio De Seta (not De Sica!) about the lost world of the south of Italy of the fifties, a series of stunning documentaries entirely made by the director when he was young, amazing.
I would like to play music for films, I'm looking for directors or movie makers!



12.Before we wrap up this interview do you have any final words or thoughts?
12. Thanks a lot to your readers and to the ones who have listened or are going to listen to my first solo album.  Best regards from the wasteland, Italy.

https://soundcloud.com/belaqua-shua

No comments:

Post a Comment