Sunday, October 2, 2016

Mohraang Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?
1. Greetings!
Mohraang - it's my first atmospheric/funeral doom project. After 6 years of searching for the musicians, I hade decide to go it alone. As many people say - "onemanband".

    2.Recently you have released a new album, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?
2. Sound like a painful soundtrack to my nightmares. Within two years, I have 8 times from beginning to end was recording this album. I woke up early in the morning, before I go to work - for work on the recording of this album. And after work until late at night I was doing recording album. From the beginning I tried to create the sound of deep caves, full of worry (trouble) and horror - for to drag the listener into the depths of underworld - kingdom of awful monsters.


    3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with your music?
3. Lyrics have a narrative in two parts (Part №2 and Part №5) on the album about the Underworld of Khorrendus - planet, full of life and death, with huge insects, and awful monsters. In the heart of the Khorrendus is located a giant citadel - Sihkaargas.


    4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Mohraang'?
4. Mohraang - it's combined web of underground mazes, soaked in blood and horror. I was needed for more ominous stories, more evil "world" and his inhabitants - so I "create" Mohraang. I thought a lot about it every day, and I was started to see nightmares about the terrible moments of my life in past. For example - "when I ran away from some danger - my face was collide into spiderweb with very big spider. I was hysterically screaming, and nobody can help me". After this dream I began to remember - what things really instilled to me for horror, and I decided to sing about it. It's very difficult to describe with simple words, when my fears overwhelm my mind and I'm completely lost control over myself. Now of course many things was get easier - it seems less scary and more beautiful, attractive to me. So some parts of this album - sounds calmly, like plunging listener into a beautiful dream.

    5.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?
5. I would really like to work with other musicians, but in our city, in our region - I could not found for musicians who could play really evil and funeral music. Arkhatriis Metus - my only friend musician, with whom I working sometimes. I hope - in this year we will start recording another - our common project. In it, we will explain in more details - what's happening "on the surface of Khorrendus". It will be more fast and aggressive music, but full of sadness, despair and death.

    6.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?
6. I showed my album to three russian labels - they are not interested in such evil music. Also were two offers from european labels - but they asked a lot of money for printing discs. I am not a rich man - all my money I spend on hardware for recording music from other countries, sometimes - merch of favorite bands and stuff. So, print CD-disks and clothes - I can myself and I'm really glad to do this myself, because it's a good experience for me.

    7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of funeral doom metal?
7. Mohraang got only good reviews from people who understand funeral doom music. From many countries. When I recorded the album - I didn't hoped for a good feedbacks/reviews, and the fact that at least one CD-Disk someone will buy in the future. I did it only for myself, but I'm glad - that there are people who liked the album. Thank them for their support!

    8.Are you also involved with any other musical projects?
8. Not yet. But I hope that in this year, me and my friend Arkhatriis Metus will start to recording our first album - in a new project.

    9.Where do you see yourself heading into musically during the future?
9. I just will continue to create music in the future. Art - the only magic that helps me to overcome all difficulties and problems. As spoke Anton Chekhov (russian writer) - "Who felt the pleasure of creation, for that man all other pleasures do not exist." I'm not interested to get a big popularity or money from making music - I'm ready continue to play in the cellar, and record albums for myself - because I really like it.

    10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
10. Before I finally recorded this album - I was listening to a lot of metal bands of the old school. For example, finnish Rippikoulu (1992-2014), from Poland - Tenebris (1993), american Winter (1990), from Netherlands Asphyx, Castle (1991-1992) and many others ...
Also I know some projects after the 2000s, which I would like to note here. For example - projects from USA - Wraith of the Ropes, Dusk, Old Witch. All albums Nortt (Denmark), Ophis (Ger).
But special influence on my music have had all albums of composer Matt Uelmen. After 8 years I still listening his music. It's sounds like a really magic hypnosis for me.
Now I actively listen Void Meditation Cult (USA), Shroud Of The Heretic (USA), all projects of John Del Russi, Bones (Belgium), Gateway (Belgium), Abyssal (UK), Swarþ (UK), the projects from Australia - Solemn They Await, Grave Upheaval, Portal and Impetuous Ritual, finnish bands - Swallowed, Disma, Archgoat.


    11.What are some of your non musical interests?
11. Now I'm trying to draw. Art and design of CD Mohraang - my handiwork. My first experience. Also I trying cooking, especially baking in the oven. I like to think about death of microorganisms in a hot oven.


    12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
12. I want to thank everyone for their support, and also to thank the universe - of these opportunities for me. Special thanks - to my friend Arkhatriis Metus and my wife, for their patience and understanding. I want to thank you for your interest in my music - long life and prosperity to your zine!

Bandcamp
Facebook
Vkontakte


No comments:

Post a Comment