Thursday, July 27, 2017

Hanetration Interview


1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the musical project since the recording and release of the new EP?



Just moving on, as usual. I’m halfway through forming the next EP now. It’s difficult to find time to work on music, so usually by the time I finally finish tinkering with a release, I’m just pleased to have it finished and be able to move on. My head has been on the next release for a while. I think it’s sounding like a good one.





2.Recently you have released a new EP, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?



Gavia EP isn’t my favourite. These things happen. I had high hopes for it, but the songs moved away from what I’d planned. And life has handed me a busy year, so I’ve had these tracks hanging around for ever. Nice to get them out. I should mention the wonderful artwork by Tommy Nease. Beautiful stuff. To me, there’s a clear arc to the EP that harks back to one of my previous releases. In fact, that was the original jumping-off point; returning to clear structures after some of my recent stuff being more abstract. It’s a deliberate step backwards in a certain sense. The next one is moving forward again.





3.So far all of the releases have been EPs, are there any plans for a full length in the future?



I like the freedom that EPs give me. I can put down ideas then move on quickly, and stick to a common theme without them becoming boring. I see each of my releases as having its own unique sound (linking to the artwork and titles and stuff) – I think it’d be difficult to sustain that across a full album. I like releasing stuff regularly too. Although it’s well over a year since I put out the last one. The next one will be much sooner.





4.So far all of the music has been instrumental have you ever considered adding any vocals on your releases?



Never say never, but I’m not much of a singer. Vocals would have to be very buried and distorted to be worth listening to. I like the openness of releasing instrumental stuff anyway. People form their own images and interpretations, and I like the attachments that form with that, they seem more personal somehow.





5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Hanetration'?



The name had to be an abstract, unique, single word. It fitted the bill. There’s an obvious reason for it. Almost too obvious. I enjoy being anonymous. Hiding behind the name makes the promotion game more bearable. Bothering everyone, trying to make people listen… Horrible. I wouldn’t want to do it with my face on it.





6.You record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to remain solo?



I’m probably too much of a control freak to relinquish any control, certainly under the Hanetration name. There were talks of a split EP with another artist, but we’re both very slow-moving and I’m fairly certain he’s forgotten all about it.





7.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?



It sounds apathetic, but I don’t really care much about furthering things. I’d like more people to have the opportunity to hear my stuff, but I’m wary of what might come with signing to a label – having to please other people, take advice, consider sales and audience and the compromises that might come with that. Right now I do everything myself and can do whatever I want. Also, no one wants to sign me, so that works out well.





8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of ambient and drone?



I’m been blown away by the interest to be honest. Tenth Oar EP was just some bits I made to amuse myself, so it was amazing to see lots of people downloading and writing about it. Since then, each release has had a bunch of reviews and features and stuff. Some have been more popular than others, but I like that. I’m happy to make each EP different. People have been incredibly kind. Seeing tracks used in short films and things has been nice too. I enjoy the process of making music and putting it out, but the fact that people listen to it always sort of surprises me.





9.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?



I’ve been feeling a frustration with my lack of technical ability in certain areas. I really want to make the time to educate myself and use new skills in how I put stuff together. How that will sound, I don’t yet know.





10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?



You know, I only recently discovered Wolfgang Voigt’s project Gas. It’s seminal stuff that I’ve always meant to investigate, but somehow only recently got round to it. It’s lovely. But I keep finding little sounds and textures in his work that remind me of stuff off Acid Reflux EP and Coiled Fire EP in particular, and now I’m worried people will think I’ve spent five years ripping him off. Waldsterben EP had a track called ‘Aurora’ that had a Gas-sy beat. The next EP is going more down that route. It’s sounding lush.





11.What are some of your non musical interests?



We’re back to the anonymity thing again. I have a day job and hobbies and interests. But I’m happy to partition them in one part of my life, and let Hanetration live in another part. Hanetration is only music.





12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?



Be kind to people. And go to the beach more.

https://hanetration.bandcamp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment