Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Svartsinn Interview


1.Can you give us an update on what is going on with the musical project these days?

- I have just recently put the finishing touches on my new album "Mørkets Variabler" and got the masters back from the label. Sounds pretty good and I'm really stoked about this one. Curious to see how it will be received, being very pleased with it myself. Other than that there are some ideas and thoughts about a few other releases, collaborations etc. Some concerts are also being planned in addition to the announced ones. I can also mention that I have an idea for a new musical project, but it is in the very early stages so more on that later.


2.How would you describe the musical sound of your more recent music?

- Still dark and obscure ambient. The biggest difference on my more recent music is the use of cello and perhaps slightly more melodic. In addition to that I have spent more time on sound quality/production. I have become picky about more or less everything, but in the end it is the
overall atmosphere that counts.


3.What are some of the images and atmospheres you feel you capture with your music?

- Darkness in all its forms and variations. Coming from personal experiences, people close to me or specific cases etc that has had an impact on me.


4.With this project you record everything by yourself but have had experience playing in other bands, how would you compare the 2?

- When we started the band (Vandød) I din't know anything about playing instruments in that way, I had just used a bit of guitar and bass to make sounds for Svartsinn. So I had to start from scratch, just playing tabs that our vocalist wrote down for me. I didn't really have the patience to sit down and
really get into it and didn't go as far as coming up with my own bass lines or anything. As the band became more tight and skilled, felt I was holding them back.  So all in all, I realised I'm not a band kind of guy and feel more confident doing the thing the way I do in Svartsinn. But I learned a lot from it and took it with me for later use.


5.On the compilation you had also done a few collaborations, can you tell us a little bit more about the artists and musicians you worked with on these songs?

- Well to start off I can mention Northaunt, Herleif is my mentor so to speak. After discovering dark ambient being a genre and knowing deep down that this was what I wanted to do,  it was he who taught me how to use the tools, showed me the path. The others are people I got the privilege to befriend via the music/scene over the years, all whom I appreciate very much. And I am far from being done collaborating, no doubt...it is quite rewarding.


6.Currently you are signed to 'Cyclic Law', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?

- After releasing my debut on Eibon Records in early 2002, Cyclic Law has been the main label for Svartsinn. I have known Frederic since before he started the label, we had contact via the old version of mp3.com. We both had our musical projects featured there and had the same taste in music. So when he started Cyclic Law  it felt very natural for me to join there. Cyclic Law quickly became known with excellent releases from the beginning and with unique cd design/packaging.
And today they are one of the most respected labels in the scene.


7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of dark ambient?

- Quite overwhelmingly good I must say. It still surprises me how many new followers I get, even when not making any new music for a few years. The interest
and thirst for both old and new Svartsinn music has also been quite an inspiration.


8.Are you still involved with any black metal projects these days?

- No, just dark ambient. Vand┐d was laid to rest after finally getting our music released. But I have been asked by some metal bands to collaborate in various ways, time and certain other factors will tell what I will participate on.


9.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?

- I must really admit that my instrumental skills limits my musical endeavours, but I do plan to learn something new in the near future. Or at least try to. Especially for my new project which was briefly mentioned above. What I cannot learn myself, I will exploit the fact that I know many people who play various instruments on a level that I  cannot even dream of reaching - which is definitely needed for what I have in mind.


10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

- I guess I could name handfuls of artists/bands that in some way have been or still is influencial to me in some way. But I honestly try to avoid taking direct inspiration
from a certain artist/band/album. But I know that when the time comes for me to sit down in my little studio, when everything has come together and turns into a song I  am pleased with - a lot of what I have heard since I was a young man up until the day I sat down making that song could have sneaked its way into that song or album.   I just like to think that the way I make my music, my way of
choosing sound sources, my way of tweaking raw material and the way I hunt for that certain atmosphere - is somehow unique. Like many other dark ambient artists also do I suspect. But when it comes to what I listen to, I can say that a lot of different styles have founds its way into my ever growing collection. Apart from being an old school metalhead (thrash, death, doom, black) and the obvious taste for dark ambient I can mention some bands being played the recent weeks: Bohren & Der Club Of Gore,  Chelsea Wolfe, Mark Lanegan, The Devil And The Universe, Wardruna, Heilung, Pallbearer, Schammasch, Horrendous, Tchornobog, Rafael Anton Irisarri, Madrugada/Sivert H°yem, Genesis, David Bowie, Urfaust, S≤lstafir, Gong, Portrait and Ruphus.

11.What are some of your non musical interests?

- The outdoors, hiking, fishing, enjoying nature, cooking, my cabin in the mountains. Other than that I enjoy reading and watching movies/series. Mostly in the gloomy / sci-fi / dark categories.


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

 - Just wanna say thanks for taking an interest in Svartsinn!

https://svartsinn.bandcamp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment