Tuesday, December 12, 2017

We Hate You Too Interview



1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?

Aimeric : We knew each other for many years before starting the project.
Both of us were playing instruments in many bands, and we wished to do something together to mix our preferences in one band.
For me, my main and favorite instrument is my voice.

Camille : My main instrument is the piano, but I also play a lot of wind instruments. I wanted to play with Aimeric because I was always fascinated by his music.

2.How would you describe your musical sound?

Aimeric : It is hard, even for us. We wanted something disturbing and uncommon, by mixing many things that are never together. We wanted to have overwhelming atmospheres, and to have lots of variation between the songs.

Camille : I’d say it’s jazz, played by classical instruments, with a growled voice. It is a little bit descriptive, but I feel it’s the most simple and accurate way to describe it.

3.According to the fb page you refer to your music as 'growled piano', can you tell us a little bit more about this term?

Aimeric : We started with only two instruments, the piano for Camille and my growled voices.
But we decided to add many other things.

Camille : And we had to “invent” a term for our music, because it wouldn’t fit in any existing category

4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?

Aimeric : Mostly the lyrics come from my own illness, I suffer from schizophrenia.
Only Relics of Restlessness is not about my feelings, but it is still linked with my mindworld.

5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'We Hate You Too'?

Aimeric : We wished to incorporate the idea that we are a duo, with a disturbed link to our disturbed songs.

Camille : When I proposed this, I thought that it might be an answer to some people coming to us saying “I hate your music”. Answering them in advance fits well with the ambience of the music : we are hateful, but defensively, not aggressively. Our music is rarely aggressive. If we had been named “We hate you”, it would have been different but here, it is an answer to an outer hate.

6.Currently there are only 2 members in the band, are you open to expanding the line up or do you prefer to remain a duo?

Aimeric : For me, I love that we are only two, and I wish to stay in this configuration.

Camille : I feel it would not make sense to be more. Now, if one day someone wants to pay us to play a gig with all the instruments of the album… We would need to be more. But I doubt it.

7.Has the band done any live shows or is this strictly a studio project?

Aimeric : We did a very little live show of 10 minutes, with only piano and voices.
For now we have not talked about other live shows.

Camille : This show was interesting but we have been able to play only because it was a totally free themed night. It’s every month, in a bar in our town, you can participate to the show and you get 10 minutes where you do whatever you want. The problem we had was that if we wanted to play in a bar for example, we would have to play with another band. But who ? Metal bands ? With our piano voice line-up, it wouldn’t fit. Jazz bands ? We are only two, and the metal aspect wouldn’t fit. We realized we can’t really play with other bands. Plus, we only had 30 minutes of set-list : the last track of the album is simply unplayable on a live show. So we focused on the studio.

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of dark, underground and experimental music?

Aimeric : I didn't get many feedback.

Camille : I had some feedback. Many people I showed the music to liked it, more than what I expected actually. However, the majority disliked either the growled voice (well, it’s not for everyone I guess) or the fact that it’s rather calm (these people expect growled voice to be paired with violent music). We tried to mix very different things : some people can bear it, some people can’t.

9.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

Aimeric : To continue disturbing things.

Camille : For now, we are focusing on other projects : someday, we might find another idea and try to mix things again.

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Aimeric : I was influenced by Tom Waits, Louis Armstrong, old blues, funeral doom.
I listen mainly extreme metal as Funeral Doom, Drone Doom, Slam Death, Black and Death. But also many Dark Ambient, Dark Folk and Medieval and Pagan.

Camille : I’m extremely influenced by Magma for the piano, and Supersilent for the winds. The Residents are a great influence too. Currently, I’m listening to a lot of Frank Zappa and Radiohead ; in general, I listen to a lot of prog music (rock or metal) and also free jazz, noise, psychedelic rock and classical music (the modern one, not really a fan of Mozart here : I prefer Stravinsky, Messiaen, Poulenc or Holst).

11.What are some of your non musical interests?

Aimeric : Ancient Civilizations, Astrophysics, Nuclear Physics, Wild Life, Paleontology.

Camille : Programmation and trolling.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

We hate you too.

https://www.facebook.com/WeHateYouTooFrenchDuo/

No comments:

Post a Comment