Monday, April 2, 2018

Abjection Ritual Interview

1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the musical project since the recording of the new album?

There is a show in Cleveland on June 16 that we are playing along with Theologian, Gnawed, The Vomit Arsonist, Vitriol Gauge, Steel Hook Prostheses, Compactor, Shock Frontier, Murderous Vision and Cunting Daughters. The focus right now is on getting ready for this show and figuring out how to translate some of the songs from the new album into a live setting.

2.You have a new album coming out in April, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?

The new album is much more diverse than all previous releases. It's influenced by bands like Godflesh , Neurosis , Halo..... really just whatever we wanted to put in there. There are no rules.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore on the new album and also how would you describe your progress as a songwriter over the years?

Regret, self-hatred, spiritual anguish, disgust with the human condition etc. I've never really thought of myself as a songwriter per se. I listen to a lot of what could be termed "normal music" and I'm sure this has had an influence on how I structure things.

4.You also have experience with playing other musical styles with different bands, do you feel this adds to the creativity of the music you are currently doing?

Absolutely. The older I get, the less I care about what kind of music I'm playing or to what genre it belongs to . What we are doing right now is in some sense what I've always wanted to do. Being influenced by tons of different music and knowing what works and what doesn't work is a benefit that comes with experience.

5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Abjection Ritual'?

It doesn't really mean anything. I just liked the way the two words sounded together. It doesn't have some really deep meaning and people can interpret it in any way they like. There is no right or wrong interpretation.

6.In the mid 90's both noise and death industrial where gaining a huge following but it seemed to die out for more than 10 years, do you feel these musical genres are starting to make a huge comeback?

Hmmm I never really noticed if it ever really died out or not. The 90s were an exciting time with labels like Cold Meat Industry and Slaughter Productions. I honestly don't pay much attention to these types of things. I just like what I like. As far as some kind of comeback or resurgence, I really don't know nor do I care.

7.The cover artwork on the new album was done by Jeff Whitehead'>, how did you get in contact with this musician and also are you a fan of his musical projects?

I'm a major fan of both Jef's art and music. He does commissions so I simply contacted him through Stevie Floyd. I don't know if he even listened to my music. For all I know he thinks it sucks. I love what he did and couldn't be happier with the results.

8.On the new album you had some session work from Rennie Resimini of Starkweather and the author Christopher Ropes, can you tell us a little bit more about their contributions to the recording?

I've been listening to Starkweather since I was in high school. Rennie is a phenomenal vocalist and it was an honor to have him on board. Christopher Ropes is an author that I met online through mutual friends. We liked each other's work and we have a lot of negative shit in common. He has written The Operating Theater and Complicity.

9.What are some of the best shows that you have done over the years and also how would you describe your stage performance?

The best show that I ever played was when I was 19 and in a band called Nothingness which was a total Eyehategod /Iron Monkey rip off. I would get black out drunk and go off. We played a show in Pittsburgh that was shut down after 5 minutes. Someone in the band threw a pitcher into the audience and the owner flipped out. I think he was more freaked out about the underage drinking and just wanted us to get the fuck out of there. He ended up paying us for five minutes of noise. Nowadays I really don't care for playing live. At my best I hope to lose myself and reach a feeling of transcendence. At my worst I drink too much, am pissed off, anxious and don't want to be there.

10.What are some of the touring or show plans once the new album is released?

Touring is impossible. Long weekends are more feasible. I run a business so I can't just pack up and leave for weeks at a time. Aside from The Darkness Descends show in June that I mentioned earlier there are no other shows booked at this time. I'll be happy to play shows that are worthwhile.

11.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your newer music by fans of death industrial and doom metal?

Well the album hasn't come out yet so it's too early to tell but some of the feedback that we have gotten so far been really positive.

12.Where do you see this project heading into musically during the future?

I can see us expanding on what we have laid out on Soul Of Ruin, Body Of Filth. I really like this direction and feel it offers a lot of exciting possibilities. I've already written some stuff that is super bleak and heavy.

13.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Neurosis, Godflesh, Eyehategod, Today Is The Day, Current 93, Brighter Death Now, IRM, Nick Cave, Scott Walker, Lurker Of Chalice, Grief, 13, Cavity, Black Flag, Throbbing Gristle, SPK, Indian, Khanate, Sabbath and about a million more

14.What are some of your non musical interests?

Reading, movies, learning, travel, MMA (spectator only)

15.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thanks for the interview and your interest in Abjection Ritual.

https://m.facebook.com/Abjection-Ritual-866453763375847/

No comments:

Post a Comment